Powered by four 5250 shp Allison XT-40-A-4 turboprops, it flew for the first time on April 18, 1950.
Changes in USN requirements led to a redesign of the aircraft to the transport role. Re-designated R3Y Tradewind, 11 aircraft were built. Several modifications were incorporated into the new R3Y-1 including increased horsepower T-40-A-10 engines, new nacelles, shorter airscrew driveshafts and tailpipes, and V-shaped float struts.
Convair later re-designed the nose and added a large hinged door at the bow. This new version was designated R3Y-2 and flew on October 22, 1954.
A last attempt at salvaging the project resulted in a refuelling tanker conversion, but this was not enough to save the Tradewind. All were scrapped in 1959.
Tradewind Product Features
- 3 model variations with 4 texture set variations:
- R3Y-1 ‘Indian Ocean Tradewind’
- R3Y-1 ‘Coral Sea Tradewind’
- R3Y-2 ‘Caribbean Sea Tradewind’
- R3Y-2 ‘South Pacific Tradewind’
- Both R3Y-1 'Cruiser' and R3Y-2 'Bowloader' variants included.
- Vvirtual cockpit with gauges and controls.
- Stunning bump-mapped 2048-pixel texture sets.
- Very high quality native FSX models.
- Highly detailed and accurate beaching cradle included.
- Animated opening doors, crew and Bowloader nose with extendable ramps.
- RY3-2 'Bowloader' refuelling version also included, with animated hoses.
- Togglable realistic crew figures with accurate period flight gear.
- Virtual cockpit includes several interior spaces including main hold.
- Wide range of alternative viewpoints for interior and exterior.
- Animated, featherable contra-rotating propeller blades.
- Iillustrated user manual in PDF format.
- Turboprop soundset.
- PhotoShop paintkit files provided.
- Note - NO 2D panel is provided.
Order your download copy now at http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store/product.php?productid=555181